We have a WINNER!
Seven awesome people entered the giveaway. Many might say that is a very small number but for someone like myself who is building a business, I am extremely grateful for the interest and the excitement of any kind.
Thank you for entering the giveaway. I had a blast.
Congrats to the winner! I will be notifying you in order to send this beautiful knitted cotton necklace your way!
#winner #trendy #giveaway #knittedjewelry #knit #knitting
(Names blurred for privacy reasons)
Blogging is something of a unique and unusual phenomenon and I am 100% enjoying every bit of it. Being a writer was something that I have always wanted to do. From wanting to write books, to starting my own business and ultimately becoming a blogger – I always wanted part of my life to begin and end with the written word. Writing is something that takes you away to another world, it allows you to escape.
I have always had an affinity for poetry. I would write countless poems as a young girl, hoping to publish them one day. In elementary school, my teach sent one of my poems to the Anthology of Poetry and they publish it – it was a very sweet and inspiring moment for me.
I know, you are probably asking, “Ashley, what are you trying to say?” I’m getting to the point, I promise.
Today, one of the most legendary poets, writers, intellectuals and civil rights leaders said their final farewell. Maya Angelou died this morning at the age of 86 and she was a phenomenal woman. She has inspired so many to reach for the stars even when others try to bring them down. Her words led generations to fight for their rights and fight for what they believed in. Her poetry made little ‘ole me pursue poetry and ultimately a career in the creative world.
She was one of the greats and today we say farewell but her words and legacy will never leave us because so many young people have much to learn from her.
P.S. Creativity is a wonderful thing.
Its makes the bleakest life bright again.
It makes your anguish turn into joy.
Whatever you do in life, purse a life of creativity,
for creativity is life,
creativity is love.
– © 2014 Ashley Leonard (Just a little poem from me that I just mustered up.) 🙂
Which one do you like best?
This is what you get if you enter this giveaway. The knitted cotton necklace in ‘Pretty Pink’ is super stylish and super fun to wear.
Why am I doing this giveaway?
This is my way of treating someone to something nice, in addition to introducing this item to the line.
You have eight days to enter.
Here are the rules:
1. Like my Facebook Page: French Soul Knittery
2. Like the post about the giveaway that is on the facebook page.
Ever since childhood, the idea of starting my own business has always been on my mind. From selling candy to my classmates to ordering an entrepreneur book from American Girl, I knew early on that I wanted to be my own boss. Fast forward to four years in college and several more years working on a career in film; the entrepreneurship bug bit me once again.
The courage to start my own business blossomed with the need to keep a special person’s memory alive. My grandmother was an avid knitter and I remember her knitting me these amazing sweaters. Later, when I got older she would give me her knitting materials. It wasn’t until she passed away that the need to knit began. I started French Soul Knittery because of my desire to keep my grandmother’s memory alive and because I enjoyed designing pieces and creating each piece with my hands.
November of 2013, I opened my shop on Etsy and I was equal parts nervous, frightened and excited. I have never done anything like this before and I have never put myself out like this before. During the process of preparing, opening my shop and finally becoming a business owner, I learned a few things……
- Preparation in key. It took me a month to design pieces, buy materials, create the samples, photograph, edit photographs and list my products. Its important to treat your online shop like any other business. Brick and mortar shops, before they open, they need to either create or obtain their products and prepare their business for potential customers – you should do the same. A month’s time may seem too short for some but that’s the time I took to prepare.
- Get Your Legal Things Together. At first I thought I can just create a shop name up and create an account and start selling – WRONG! Before you list your first item, you need to register your business with your state and obtain a license to collect sales tax. I’m happy I researched beforehand.
- You Can Build All You Want But The Reality Is – They Will Not Come, Unless You Work. I was one of those people who I thought “Once I make these awesome items, they will definitely start buying.” I was wrong again. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of individuals selling the same type of things you are selling. It is your job to separate yourself from the pack and create items that will stand out, items that you can truly believe in. I truly believe that there is an abundance out there for everyone – that everyone can succeed but it takes work.
- As A New Seller, You Will Feel Frustrated. There will be times when you feel like you want to give up. You will be frustrated that after a certain number of weeks, you are not getting any sales. You will start questioning your work, you will start questioning your ability. As a new seller you will wonder if its worth it, putting all of your money into this and getting nothing out of it. I felt these frustrations. I tell myself a few words of wisdom everyday – “Anything that I’m passionate about is worth working hard for.” Trust me, you will feel elated when that email comes in and states “Congrats on Your First Sale.”
As a new seller, I realized that having a shop on Etsy is extremely harder that I anticipated. It requires an enormous amount of work that the thought of giving up may come to mind but you can’t quit. If this is what you want to do. If creativity is in your blood, then you can’t quit. There is still so much for me to learn but I’m enjoying the journey and I hope we can do it together.
Are you thinking about starting your own business? What are your thoughts or concerns?
P.S. Enter the giveaway here!
Here are a few words to get you through the day. Maybe even help someone close to you or someone you just met.
I find that inspiration finds us in the most unsuspecting places. It can help jump-start our mind, our soul and our heart.
Don’t forget the giveaway. The necklace doesn’t have to be for you. You can win it for that special someone in your life. Enter today!
Yes, I am having my first giveaway on the blog. To celebrate the new design and the addition to the knitted cotton necklaces to the line, I am giving one away to one lucky person.
The lucky winner will get the ‘Pretty Pink’ hand knitted cotton necklace (the one in the picture) made by me!
As with any giveaway, there a few rules:
1) Like my Facebook page: French Soul Knittery
2) Like this post that will be posted to the Facebook page.
That’s it! Super Easy!
The giveaway ends on May 30th at 12:01 am. A winner will be picked at random. The winner will be notified on May 31st!